World EV Day
Celebrating the rise of electric vehicles
Thursday 9th September is World EV Day 2021 - a global movement driving change by celebrating electric vehicle ownership worldwide.
This year the campaign focuses on education, accessibility and sustainability and asks how businesses will #DriveChange to support e-Mobility by creating an international movement.
Even the UK government has pledged its support this year, partnering the ‘Together for our Planet’ campaign to encourage people to go #OneStepGreener to help combat climate change.
Investing in the Future of EV
A huge amount of money is being invested in developing EV technology across all automotive brands. Stellantis - a group owning 14 car brands - has confirmed they will spend a whopping £25 billion in the next five years in order to establish a new generation of electric vehicles.
The overall market share has hugely improved from a year ago; electric vehicles now account for 2.5% of all vehicles sold, equating to one in 40 new cars registered being all-electric.
Many manufacturers have already pledged that their fleets will become fully electric within the next 10 years. These include the likes of Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Citroën, Fiat and Jeep, each proudly represented at Wilsons multi-showroom facility in Epsom, Surrey.
Five EV Facts
- 11 million electric vehicles were registered across the world during 2020.
- Europe has now surpassed China with the amount of electric vehicles purchased.
- Norway has the largest use of electric vehicles compared to other countries.
- Electric vehicles are less likely to roll over in a crash.
- Nissan reuses the batteries from its electric LEAF vehicles to power automated vehicles around assembly plants.
Charging Points in the UK
To mark the very first World EV Day in 2020, the UK’s Department for Transport announced there were 18,000 electric charging points throughout the country. Fast forward a year and there are now almost 44,000 electric charging points at over 16,000 locations across the country.
Unsurprisingly, Greater London contains the largest amount with just over 30% of the total number of electric charging points in the UK. The South East - including Surrey - has the second highest available electric charging points with just over 13% compared to other areas in the country.
Electric Vehicles at Wilsons
There has never been a better time to make the switch to electric!
With over 117 years of automotive experience, you can trust Wilsons for all your EV needs. Discover pioneering electric cars such as the 100% Nissan LEAF with zero emissions, or the futuristic newly-released Hyundai IONIQ 5 for an advanced driving experience.
Progressive in design and ground-breaking in electric capabilities, the future of EV travel is very bright indeed. Among the new fully electric and plug-in hybrid cars available at Wilsons Epsom are:
- Fiat 500e. The ultimate city car - now fully electric!
- Hyundai IONIQ. Available in electric or plug-in hybrid models - powerful and poised for any adventure.
- Hyundai IONIQ 5. Power your world with the brand new all electric offering from Hyundai.
- Hyundai KONA Electric. Sleeker and more sophisticated with up to 300 miles on a single charge.
- MG 5 EV. Offers a huge amount of space and mileage from a single charge.
- MG HS Plug-in Hybrid. An electrified powertrain for the best of both worlds.
- MG ZS Electric. Take advantage of zero emissions without compromising on practicality or style.
- Nissan LEAF. Leading the pack in electric motoring technology.
- Peugeot e-208. A dynamic and sporty city car paired with a fully electric motor.
- Peugeot e-2008. A powerful, sculpted and streamlined fully electric compact SUV.
- Peugeot 3008 Hybrid. A distinctively-styled SUV pushing the boundaries of hybrid technology.
- Peugeot 508 Hybrid. Experience driving without compromise in the 508 Hybrid.
- Renault Zoe Electric. A zero-emissions city car to help reduce your carbon footprint.
Why not visit us today at Nonsuch Business Park in Kiln Lane, Epsom, to explore our full EV range or discover more online.